Friday, January 16, 2009

Questioning SA Fastest Growing companies in 2009 list

I got an e-mail supposedly from Reuters detailing South Africa's Fastest Growing in January 2009.

I've got to be honest and say I have to question the list because there were some unusual names on the list.

1) Pick and Pay
2) Africa cash and carry
3) Newclicks
4) Willoton Oils
5) Toys R us
6) British Airways
7) Edcon
8) Mediapost
9) Footprints Filmworks
10) Wellington Fruits
11) Jeftrost Enterprizes
12) Pure Islam Media
13) Kagiso Media
14) Bakerstransport
15) Pam Golding Properties
16) Malls Tiles
17) Exotic Cars
18) Bakers Biscuits
19) South African Law Society
20) Roger Matthews Investments

An airline like BA being one the fastest growing companies in SA?
Exotic Cars?! - In a time like this when the car market is sinking?
Pam Golding Properties? - when the property market is in serious distress

Anyone got any insight into how this list was put together? What criteria were used?

Do you agree with the names on the list?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also received that list, and I'm surprised that PnP is listed as number 1 - their shear size would make it difficult to grow very fast.

BA isn't even a South African company - it's run by Comair in South Africa.

Anonymous said...

Yeah its odd...

Not sure that Reuters would be spamming everyone if it was a genuine list either? As far as I know I'm not registered for info from them...

SA Law Society a company?

Not so sure....

FlightSite said...

I think I've seen this list on another blog before, pretty decent hey!

British Airways South Africa is not a South African company, but it is run by Comair South Africa